Thursday, January 19, 2012

Ms. Fixit

This past weekend I was bound and determined to fix something. Around this house, there is no shortage of things that need fixing. After a couple hours of unsuccessfully tinkering with the garage door opener, I moved on to the water softener. It has not worked since we moved in and being new to home ownership we had no idea where to even start troubleshooting.

The problem seemed to be there was no water flowing into the unit. I decided to completely disconnect it to investigate. I asked my husband to come help because filled with salt, the unit is quite heavy. We followed the pipework around our basement to try to figure out what was going on and realized a bypass valve going to the softener was shut off. Luckily, this was an easy fix.

So there we are, softener disconnected, determining the push of a button will send the water supply for our whole house gushing through this pipe. I put my hand on the bypass valve. My husband, directly in the line of fire, says "don't push that." Which to me is like saying "I dare you to push that." I couldn't resist-I pushed the button. A DIRECT HIT!

So I fixed the water softener and soaked my husband. Mission: accomplished. :)

1 comment: