Sunday, February 19, 2012

Its dendricide!

Ever since we moved here Mike's been itching to slice and dice our overgrown lilac bushes. This scares me because being a weed scientist, he is very good at killing plants and these are ones I want to keep! I love lilacs because they remind me of our wedding and when we looked at this place I was very excited about the lilacs lining the north and west corner of the house. I don't want to take any chances with them. However, the plant scientists in my life tell me it is actually good to prune them this time of year when there are fewer pests around. With this beautifully warm un-winter we are having Saturday was a good day for yard work and I finally gave him the go ahead.



He used a pruning saw to cut off the old, overgrown, and dead branches of one of the bushes and left the newer shoots. We probably won't get flowers on that one for awhile, but this one was especially out of control. He left plenty of other bushes untouched so we will still have lilacs blooming this spring.

While we were at it, we also decided to cut down the poopy tree behind the house. Its not actually covered in poop it has a fungus call black knot. Turns out it is treatable but we thought the tree was pretty infested and as I mentioned earlier, Mike is a proponent of plant slaughter.

Now we have some good bonfire material.

No comments:

Post a Comment